Asda reveals new Plant Based range, catering to 52% of 18-34-year olds who will reduce their meat intake in 2020. Starting at £1.50, the range is the most affordable on the market and all 48 products are Vegan Society approved.
To mark the start of Veganuary, leading supermarket Asda has launched a delicious and exciting vegan-friendly range of plant-based products, all under the new ‘Asda Plant Based’ label. An inspirational range of tasty, 100% plant-based meal solutions, components and sides that are a celebration of plants.
The mouth-watering new range is also approved by The Vegan Society, with most products hosting the new ‘live better’ logo, Asda’s new health icon helping to signpost the healthiest choices in the range.
The range launches just as the demand for plant based products hits an all-time high, with Asda research revealing that 52% of 18-34-year olds plan to reduce their meat intake in 2020.
However, the findings showed that price is still the main barrier for three in ten UK households (33%), as they believe eating plant based meals will be more costly. With products starting from just £1.50, the new Asda Plant Based range will be the most affordable on the market, giving customers more convenient, cost-effective options to choose from.
While most meat-substitutes found in supermarkets are made with soya, in a first-to-market piece of innovation, Asda has also unveiled new mushroom-based meat-alternatives, including meat-free mince, burgers, sausages and meatballs, giving customers more nutritious and healthier options with a meaty and savoury, umami taste.
At great value Asda customers don’t have to compromise on quality, innovation, or price as the new range has something for everyone, with everything from meat-free quarter pounder style burgers, duckless spring rolls, No-Zzarella sticks, vegan dirty fries to delicious food-to go options.
Julie Wild, Own Brand Strategy & Governance Manager at Asda, said: “The demand for plant based products is growing at a rapid rate, but it can be challenging for customers to find diverse, high-quality, and inexpensive options on the market. The new Asda Plant Based range with 48 new products to choose from – all approved by the vegan society – has been designed to offer something for everyone, at affordable prices.
"Plus, in a first for any retailer, all trays and sleeves packaging found in the Plant Based range is 100% recyclable, making it easier for our customers make sustainable choices. Whether customers are vegan, flexi-tarian, or just want to cut down on their meat intake, the new range offers premium quality and great value, meaning customers won’t have to compromise a thing.”
The new range has something for everyone; from nutritious ready meals (chilled and frozen), snacks, delicious pizzas to food-to-go items. Starting from £1.50, selected items will be available in store and online from January 2nd with the full range available from 6th January 2020. Select stores and lines, subject to availability.
Key products launching within the new Asda Plant Based range include:
· Meat Free Burger: The ultimate quarter pounder style burger, made with mushroom, eats like meat. Price: £1.50
· Smoky Tofu Burrito: Bursting with warming flavours, juicy tofu and vibrant vegetables, the Smoky Tofu Burrito is a delicious plant-based meal. Price: £2.50
· Duckless Spring Rolls: 100% vegan and perfect for pairing with a portion of rice noodles. Price: £2.25
· Dirty Fries: Smothered in a tangy, non-dairy creamy sauce, the potato fries are dripping in flavour. Topped with lashings of cheddar alternative and Roquito chilli peppers. Price: £2.25
· Sweet Potato Katsu Curry: Mild, creamy and a tasty meat-free alternative to a British favourite dish. Price: 2.50
· Cheese’ and Chive Potato Skins: Oozing with melted cheese alternative and sprinkle of fragrant chives. Price: £2.25
· Tomato & Halloumi Balls: They’re perfectly paired with the Plant Based Lentil Fusilli Ragu to create a meat-free take on a British staple. Price: £1.75
· Cauliflower Tikka Masala: Slightly spiced, creamy and a heavenly delight for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. Price: £2.50
· Falafel Burgers: Made from ground chickpeas and fava beans, this is a delicious dish for those with a desire for a crispy burger. Price: £1.75
· Tomato and Pesto Flatbread: Get a pizza the action with Asda’s new Tomato and Pesto Flatbread Pizza. Price: £1.75