People holding wine glasses

Marks and Spencer (M&S) has vowed to make its range of own-label wine 100 percent vegan by 2022. The move was done in efforts to keep its products relevant to the market and satisfy consumers’ changing dietary demands.

The British retailer has been working on producing vegetarian and vegan-friendly options for nearly twenty years. It started labelling wine bottles as “suitable for vegetarians” in 1998 and started producing its exclusive range of vegan wines by 2005.

As of today, an estimated 70 percent of the British retailer’s wine is vegan. It aims to convert the remaining 30 percent in the next three years.

“Obviously, such a large-scale commitment isn’t without its challenges,” said Sue Daniels winemaker at M&S, “However, we have been working on alternatives with winemakers for several years and have already seen radical changes in more traditional areas such as France and Spain. We will be supporting the rest of our partner wineries every step of the way towards this goal.”

Despite the common misconception, not all wines are vegan. Animal products such as egg whites or protein-rich milk particles like casein are sometimes used to remove sediment as part of the decanting process. With veganism on the rise in consumer trends globally, more and more companies are taking the leap to producing plant-based options.