Ronak Warty

Test and labelling of imported foods have come back under the spotlight in Australia, following the death of 10-year-old Ronak Warty nearly three years ago. Post-mortem tests confirmed that the kid, who was sensitive to cow’s milk, had had a reaction to a mislabelled drink containing dairy products. Regardless, according to Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia, the Green Time Natural Coconut Drink, imported from Taiwan by Narkena Pty Ltd, was removed from shelves a month after the kid’s death. Narkena pleaded guilty to three charges under the Food Act and was fined $18,000, in addition to being ordered to pay the NSW Food Authority costs of $24,000.
To avoid similar risks in the future, A&AA is now calling on the Coroner to investigate the regulation.